Souper Greens with Lemon-Tarragon Crème Fraîche
- Serves 4 to 6
- Gluten free
From the pantry:
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons Triquetra Health Organic Spirulina Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
From the market:
- Heavy cream – 1/4 cup
- Sour cream – 3 tablespoons
- Lemon zest – 1/4 teaspoon, finely grated
- Lemon juice – 1/2 teaspoon
- fresh tarragon – 1/2 teaspoon, minced
- 1 Onion – halved through root end and sliced thinly
- White mushrooms – 3 oz, trimmed and sliced thinly
- 2 Garlic cloves – minced
- Vegetable broth – 3 cups
- Arborio rice – 1/3 cup
- Swiss chard – 12 oz, stemmed & chopped coarsely
- Kale – 9 oz, stemmed & chopped coarsely
- Fresh parsley – 1/4 cup
- Baby arugula – 2 oz (2 cups)
- Filtered water – 3 cups
1. Combine heavy and sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest & juice, tarragon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the Dutch oven over med-high heat. Stir in onion, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, occasionally stirring, until onion releases some moisture, about 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently and scraping up any browned bits, until onion is deeply browned and slightly sticky, about 30 minutes (avoid scorching the onion)
3. Stir in mushrooms and cook until they have released their moisture (about 5 minutes). Stir in garlic and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, broth, and rice, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in chard, kale, and parsley, 1 handful at a time, until wilted and submerged in liquid. Return to simmer, cover, and cook until greens are tender, about 10 minutes.
5. With heat off, stir in spirulina powder and add arugula until wilted. In small increments, process soup in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Return pureed soup to clean pot, season with salt & pepper to taste. Drizzle individual portions with refrigerated lemon-tarragon cream and serve. Enjoy!